Page 155
1. Except for the exempt about faith, these values are generally universally followed
3. I know a few people from The Big Apple, about a dozen, and they are just regular people (to Norwegian standards), who have the same values as I do. However, if you start venturing south, to Texas, or east, to Florida, you might start to see some things you would not expect to see
5.
Democracy: it is the fundamental foundation to a fair and just system
Freedom: builds on democracy, where you should be able to vote for whoever you want, listen to whatever music you want and do mostly what you want
Justice: "all people should be treated the same, in public and in a court of law." This is the fundamental baseline to hinder corruption in the higher ranks of society
Individualism: the thought of working only for your own good makes me feel queasy. However, the idea that you can help society whilst still achieving your own personal goals, is in my opinion the optimal solution
Friendliness/adaptability and hospitality: these are things necessary for a good community that people want to live in
Mobility: being able to move where you want at any time is just as freeing as freedom itself
Faith: I literally could not care less about faith than I already do if I tried as hard as I could
6. My values come from my family and the society I live in. I have a very minor influence on what values I have, but I would not have been the same person in the least had I been brought up in Japan per say
Questions 155-158
The pioneer is completely free of governments and sanctions
"me" is the person singing the song (I can only assume). America was never "America" to "me", because nothing could ever live up to the promises of gold and riches in the folktales about The New World
All of them
Poor people, Native Americans, black people
Greed
If someone were to set up a shop selling pickaxes to miners, they would have gotten ahead of the curve, and gotten rich off of it. The people who got behind the curve, are the people who came after the gold rush and got nothing but scraps for the major risk they took in coming to America
The "I" is referring to a black slave taken from Africa to "build a "homeland of the free.""
Rhymes go 2-4 2-4 3-3
It makes the song "clang" better
America never has been, and never can be, the fabled land of riches and treasures once promised by the settlers. The streets will not be paved in gold, you will not dip your pan in the river and pick up an ounce of gold in one swoop and you will not get rich quick without good old hard work
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar